[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Shirking those Fireballs o' Doom

Dave quesried:
>Dear MeteorObs Brethren,
>     First,  a question.....  does the word "brethren" include females? >
>I'm
>sure I'll be getting an answer, and soon...

There are several speaking representatives of the XX persuasion here, plus
an unknown number of lurkers.

>Hollywood
>releases TWO big-budget movies.... one is a comet-impact story and the
>other
>an asteroid-impact story.  From what I can tell from the adverts,  we are
>saved by US Space Shuttle Missions that intercept and 'nuke' the threat,
>in
>BOTH movies.  I imagine a good portion of Earth's masses will have
>something
>new to worry about by the time school starts in September of 1998.

Well if the two movies have the scientific accuracy of the recent fare on
TV land, such as Asteroid, it will be another exercise in fantasy, with
little or no correlation to the real solar system :->
However, the masses may worry, which might be good for us who gaze at the
sky all night long to find evidence of these real, but rare, objects.

Wayne

Wayne