[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Flight 800 Meteor report

frank<< ecially tin benders (sheet metal
 mechanics is the proper terminology).  There were several tales told
 around the lunch table of bullet holes being patched. Strange too
 since the hole wasnt there when the plane took off but was discovered
 when it returned. The planes involved were not commercial airliners, but
 general aviation types, small planes.  Reports werent filed because
 there was no way to know where the incident took place and even in those
 days no on wanted to be buried in paperwork..   >>

Once upon a time I was in the air force and worked quite a bit with aircraft.
I recall being told to not write on the outside skin of an airplane with a
lead pencil because it will eventually "eat" thru the skin. We were to use a
grease pencil if a mark was to be made. The habit was for the maintenance
crews to circle a little spot that needed some kind of skin repair. Perhaps
someone did this without knowing and later discovered a strange hole?
George Zay