[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Impact movies..

Greetings!

Dave Garrison wrote:

>Dear MeteorObs Brethren,
>     First,  a question.....  does the word "brethren" include females?  I'm
>sure I'll be getting an answer, and soon... and if the answer is 'no', it
>might even be followed up by some sort of law-suit.

and Wayne replied:
>There are several speaking representatives of the XX persuasion here, plus
an unknown number of lurkers.

Dave... our interests on this list are <meteor> related... and whether or
not you are aware of it, meteor observing is not restricted to guys only! ;>
I admit that it would be great if more females were encouraged to take up
science-related pursuits.  Personally, I try to get involved in activities
that encourage more young people (male or female) to learn about astronomy.
However, just because I'm female doesn't mean I'm about to sue you...

>this summer when Hollywood releases TWO big-budget movies.... one is a
comet-impact story and the other an asteroid-impact story.

I think this is great!  It should give the public something to think
about.... and give us something to critique...

Maybe it might help raise awareness of the issue, and encourage more funding
for NEO research...

Maybe it might bring some other issues to light.... such as light
pollution.... maybe the sky was so bright they couldn't see the object
coming! ;>

At the very least, it should give us something to do on on a cloudy night!

Clear skies,

- Cathy
  Great White North