[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Attaching files? just wondering..

Hi!

Since I am still quite new in the wonderful world of email, there are a
few things I need to get familiar with.

I have an idea although it might be an impractible one. I dont know how
often or even if it should be done.

I thought it could be interesting to include with the posting of a
summary meteor report, a few successful meteor pictures of that same
night.

Simply scanning an image could do the job. But wait! One would need to be
careful not to attach huge files that would take forever to download on a
slower computer. I would suppose image size, file format, software
compatibility, and server limits are all issues to be considerated before
sending a number of images on the list. I dont think email exist for HUGE
file transfers.

Say I want to attach a fairly small 72dpi(200K) file, what format should
I use?
In general, how many such files can be attached without causing a
potential problem? What is the limit?

Maybe things would slowwwww down to a crawl if everyone posted such files
in all their docs.

Anyway, back to meteors..  hope to get my Feb.6/7 observing results
posted soon if I can ever find a break in between all this never ending
school work!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario in the Great White North
Meteor observing and Graphic design