[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Attaching files? just wondering..

At 01:47 PM 2/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Say I want to attach a fairly small 72dpi(200K) file,
>what format should I use?

Actually, Pierre, posting a FEW meteor images might be worthwhile! Probably
posting one for each meteor report would be excessive, but a few samples
might help new photographers know what to expect. And if any interesting
meteors happen to get caught on film during a session, then it could be
productive (and instructive) to attach them to one report!

BUT, I do agree with Wayne that the size and number of images posted to the
whole list would need to be VERY limited: 200K is a *HUGE* file as email
attachments go! Also, only portable formats (i.e., UNCOMPRESSED GIF, JPG,
or FITS) would really be useful to the majority of us.

Your best course of action might be to make these pictures available on the
Web, Pierre! If you have access to a Web site, just upload GIF/JPG/FITS
files, then post their URLs on the list! No size restriction, and anyone
with Web (or even just email) access can always download your pics.

Finally, if you STILL feel a certain pic will be of interest to the whole
list, go ahead! Just make sure it's smaller than 40K (our message size
limit right now), and that it's in portable format.

>hope to get my Feb.6/7 observing results posted soon

Glad to know SOMEONE'S getting some observing in, Pierre! Keep up the good
work, and keep us posted. :)

Lew