[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireballs vs. meteorites

Cathy wrote:
>What was the magnitude of the <faintest> meteor or fireball seen visually...
>where a meteorite actually occurred, and has been recovered?

Hi Cathy!

I guess this is a rather tough question. Proving a direct relation with a
fainter meteor and a meteorite recovery can be tricky. Many things to
consider: meteoroid's angle entry, velocity, density and size. I find it
already quite amazing we are able to recover a meteorite from the data
received from a very bright fireball.

The really faintest meteors (although invisible by any visual means) is
micro dust. They keep falling at a constant rate on Earth's surface in
considerable quantities. They probably make up some of the bulk for the
total mass of meteorites falling on Earth each day. They are too small to
burn up, so they just fall. They originate not only from space but from
the burnt out remains of typical meteors. I heard of reseachers gathering
samples showing proof for the existence of this micro dust. The samples
in turn are useful for study.

Look at the contrast: 'dust meteors' when everyone else talks 'Fireballs
of Doom' !

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario in the Great White North
Meteor observing and Graphic design