[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Questions from Costa Rica

Hi Carlos,

Welcome to 'meteorobs'...I look forward to your posts here! And please do
keep us up to date on the "happenings" there in those tropical regions.

You wrote:

>Thanks for your support and encouragement. I will try to reach Mark
>Davis at NAMN to get some of those materials you mentioned. Please keep
>me posted on those incoming meteor showers.

I will send you those materials today as a separate email. In this
material, you will read about determining the limiting magnitude (LM) of
your site which is related to your question about observing from the city.
In its simplist form, this is a measure of the faintest star you can see.
It is best to observe from the darkest skies you have access to. To reach
these dark sites, some observers drive for more than an hour. Some are
lucky enough to be able to observe from their backyard. Here NAMN observers
try to observe from a site where at least +5.0 magnitude stars are visible.
The material I will be sending you will have instructions on how to
determine this measure. Hope this helps....

Clear, and dark skies!

Mark Davis, MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network
NAMN home page:
http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html