[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re:Fireballs vs. meteorites

Greetings,

I had queried...
>>What was the magnitude of the <faintest> meteor or fireball seen visually...
>>where a meteorite actually occurred, and has been recovered?

And Pierre Martin replied:
>Proving a direct relation with a fainter meteor and a meteorite recovery
can be tricky. Many things to consider: meteoroid's angle entry, velocity,
density and size. I find it
already quite amazing we are able to recover a meteorite from the data
received from a very bright fireball.... The really faintest meteors
(although invisible by any visual means) is micro dust... They probably make
up some of the bulk for the total mass of meteorites falling on Earth each day.

My question still stands.  I am not referring to micro dust.  I'm asking
about the faintest meteor seen visually - and then the meteorite found, ie.
correlated to the visual sighting.

- Cathy
  Great White North