[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: potentially hazardous objects (PHA's)

Phil,

Personally I agree with you on everything you posted.  Now lets get down to
solving the problem.

Let me throw out a wild idea to get started. Nukes are too dangerous, I
agree. How about going to a near by asteroid and doing a few test,
experiments and survey it's makeup. Perhaps someday we can land on
asteroids and learn to drive them around the solar system like a
automobile.  Park them here and there in parking lots well away from Earth
crossing orbits.  You say this is too costly. Suppose we could get to a
asteroid with this equipment and all for 20 million dollars. With 2000
PHA's  this would cost 40 billion dollars.
I heard a Japanese scientist say in a documentary that a good size tsunami
hitting Tokyo would cause 3 trillion dollars in damage.  It is all a matter
of will and priorities.

Victor