[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) (PHA's) & question?

Hi Jerry,   (Jerry Armstrong)

Fantastic post on asteroid threat (PHA's) and I learn much about the comet
threat also.  On the Jim Scotti stats I have a few questions but no doubt
of it's accuracy. An asteroid about 200 meters passes between Earth and
moon every 24 hours is possible from Scotti's calculations.

I was wondering if he meant that a 200 meter rock passes that close to
Earth's orbit every 24 hours or that physically a rock that size is coming
that close to earth every 24 hours? Perhaps that's a question I should
direct to Jim himself but feel free to answer if you know.

Recently I looks at some reports on the Dr. Jack Hill's abstract on Jan
8th, 1998 before the American Astronomical Society,  which seems to say
asteroid of 200 meters or less with few exception (Iron asteroids) will
result in air burst and only local damage. If so does this rule out impacts
with the ocean causing tidal waves?
(For thoses on the list who do not know Jack Hill is a geophysicist at Los
Alamos Nat Labs in New Mexico, USA - see David Morrison's NEO New of
1/9/98 or go to http://www.phoenixat.com/~vnn2/morrison.htm )

Victor

----------
> [...]
(how's
> >that for depersonalizing the issue), and in knowing the energy and
location
> >of the impact. While this information would be interesting in an
> >existential sense, is it really important. In other words, what
> >would/should/could we do with this information?
>
>         I vaguely remember reading something  somewhere, that if an
impact
> were to occur that the heads  of state and most   notably the IRS would
be
> evacuated to a safer location,  then let nature take it's course. But,
don't
> quote me on that, although that would in all likelyhood be the   way
that
> not only   ours  but most   governments would probably  handle the
> situation. This being  of  course if the impact were going to occur
without
> sufficient warning  to evacuate   the populace, or  if say   an  impact
had
> occurred in the middle of the ocean. I  have seen the panic when a
hurricane
> comes ashore and the evacuation is usually OK but somewhat confused, now
> just  image a wave that will reach several tens of  miles inland and with
> little or no  warning.
> >
> >How do we apply a time frame to an impending impact. What is  knowing
about
> >the impact early or late relative to? Is there a plan to deal with the
> >impact?
>
>         I believe  these questions were answered above.
>
>  To prevent the impact? Is a certain amount of advanced warning
> >needed for something in particular?
>
>         These are  just   my thoughts on this. Comets are perhaps the
worst
> ones to deal  with. They are outgassing and this produces a jetting
effect
> which makes  their path   unpredictable. Now we can predict with some
> ammount of certainty the location of a comet for a telescope,  but even
> here we encounter some  discrepancies. And the  coma  of a  comet is BIG,
> something thatmost amateur astronomers fail to realize. Given this a
comet
> say like Hale-Bopp is a typical  fuzzball when  first discovered. But,
you
> have  to put this into perspective, that  tiny fuzz ball when seen up
close
> is very very large. In the order of tens of thousands of miles  in
diameter.
> That is why the slight  shift in position is not that  noticable. But,
when
> it gets say within one or two million miles of the Earth,  the emmense
size
> becomes very apparent. Hale-Bopp was never closer  than 30 odd million
miles
> at best, Hyakutake  came  as close  as a little  over 9 million miles.
And
> [...]
> strikes,  and an ocean impact would  be far worse.  !996JA that passed as
> close to us  and the moon was just  such a size  range. Jim  Scotti once
> told me that given the amount of area in the  sky that he patrols with
> Spacewatch and the number  of objects  such as  1996JA  that he and his
> colleagues have discovered, there should be by calculation a 200 meter
> diameter object passing between   us  and  the  moon  every  twenty four
> hours. That's  scary, but I  don't  plan on loosing any sleep over it
unless
> I plan on looking at it through a telescope.
>         Now, getting back to comets, they pose a slightly different
problem.
> Being as I  explained earlier that  it  would be difficult if not
impossible
> to predict an impact until just a few weeks  prior, they DO have the
> capability of global  extinction. Comet Hyakutake 's nucleus was only 2
> kilometers diameter so  it  did not, but Hale-Bopp had  a  nucleus
> calculated at 75 kilometers diameter. And remeber the list I told you
about
> with  the 14 comets whizzing by at  less than  0.1 AU? Well guess what,
good
> old faithfull Halley's  Comet makes this list THREE times, and it's
nucleus
> is about 10 kilometers. I'm not saying that Halley's will ever impact,
but
> there is one comet that is in the Halley  class that is destined to
either
> hitting the Earth or being ejected from the solar system due to a very
close
> encounter with  the Earth. This is our old friend P'Swift-Tuttle. It
should
> make  a  grande spectacle in about  130 years when  it makes it's next
> return. Although  there was some aprehension atone time a few years  back
> when   it was recovered that  calculations  revealed  it had a 1 in 400
> chance of hitting  theEarthon it's next  return in  2130 AD. But after
all
> the observations  were in,  it was soon  found not  to be the case. It
will
> however have it's orbit  shifted ever so slightly that  any future
> predictions  become hopeless,and this is where the  uncertainty lies as
> when the event will take   place.
>         I could ramble on for hours discussing  asteroids  and comets so
> had better stop here, I hope this helps.
>
> Jerry
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> |	Jerry Armstrong   		|
> |      	jacomet@mindspring.com	|
> |	8526 Moccasin Lake Drive	|
> |	Winston, GA    30187		|
> |	(770) 942-4249 (voice)	|
> |	(770) 528-8325 (office)	|
> |	(770) 528-8015 (FAX)		|

---
Victor Noto - Kissimmee, Florida USA
vnn2@phoenixat.com
http://www.phoenixat.com/~vnn2/BIGROCK.htm
Website theme quote:
"Life really is a Rock and
the Big Rock giveth and taketh away all life!!"