[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Importance of amateur meteor observing

hello Lew and george,

Seem to have bumped into a discussion the start of which I have missed (I
don't follow meteorobs regularly, not out of a lack of interest (on the
contray!) but because my mailbox is that small that the dayly volume of
meteorobs messages would glock my mailbox). But apart from what triggered
the discussion, I think Lew is right in his last mail. Observing is very
important, and amateurs have a very important RESEARCH role as well to
fullfill in this case (can know that: I am an amateur, but co-author to
two scientific papers on meteors!). The most simple way to contribute to
that is by being active in observing, and reporting your observations, to
IMO, to your local society, on meteorobs. That also means, that a
knowledgeble amateur should be given credit for his opinions in debates.
One thing that is apparent in science is that in some particular fields,
and some particular aspect, amateurs have a field and practical
knowledge far better than professionals (I am at the verge of obtaining
an academic degree in archaeology, and there, the situation is the same.
Amateurs are very important. They know where the sites are, and how they
characterize). Progress comes from an interplay between
theory and observations, and in that sense communication between profs
and amateurs is just very important for progress in meteor science given
the importance of amateurs in gathering observational data.
This means that both sides should listen to each other and engage in
constructive discussions. Sometimes, the prof will have relevant things
to say, sometimes the amateur.
This means that media like 'meteorobs.', though the emphasis should be on
observing, should not neglect communications with 'the other side' : the
non-amateurs and their views and topics. Thatt is the best way to
contribute to meteor science as a whole -at least that is my opinion.

-Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society