[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RE: meteor colors

To the problem of the color index I want to say:
I4ve determined the color index for meteor streams!! by using only the visual
estimations of the color of a large number of observers and aproximatly 3000
"non-white" meteors.
When I do so for different magnitude classes, I found a reddening to fainter
meteors. This was also described by Jacchia 1957 and other authors (Davis 1963,
Hajdukova 1967, 1972 et others)
The color indices determined by different methodes for one and the same stream
differ, but the slope of the reddening funktion is in the same range (0.3 -0.5).
I4ve described the methode some years ago in WGN 18 (1990), p. 111
The methode doesn4t work for a single meteor. Althrough the observed colors of
an meteor differ from one observer to the next I find an average CI for the
streem.
Ulrich