[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Celestrial Math Help Needed

At 03:52 PM 03/02/98 -0600, Jim Richardson wrote:
>Hello Steave,
>
>I am up to my eyebrows in schoolwork this semester, and thus have very
>little time to read mail -- much less respond to it.  However, your post to
>MeteorObs got my attention as i was wading through my over-stuffed mailbox
>this weekend.
[snip]
>Therefore, I would strongly recommend that you obtain a copy of
>"Meteor Science and Engineering," D.W.R. McKinley, 1961, McGraw-Hill Book
>Co, to obtain some better answers than what I can provide here.

Will have to look for this one; anyone happen to have a copy available?

[snip]

>To give you a little comentary on your proposal:

[snip]

Jim, I greatly appreciate all the info that you gave, and I'll have to
print it for studying in detail tomorrow.

There appears to be much that I think might be of great interest to other
radio meteor scatter enthusiasts, and I wonder whether I can repost your
reply on two reflectors whose subjects are meteor scatter? If you want, I
can remove your e-mail address (but not your name or title) to keep traffic
from overwhelming you.

Thank you much for your time in passing on the detailed information; your
last hypothesis sounds pretty close to what we've observed a time or two
since I first posted. Random meteors over the past several weeks have been
up and down; but when they were up, we were counting higher rates (up to 9
pings per minute at 144 MHz!!), with some real bell-ringers, than I've
heard in showers this year. Today, in contrast, was definitely among the
poorest reflection day we've encountered since starting our regular
schedules at the beginning of last May, with only about 9 pings each way
and all very, very weak.

Clear skies,

SteveH
Shrewsbury Mass