[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Observations March 2/3 ZAYGE

Well...I made an effort to observe last night and it paid off. I wasn't too
sure because the sky was full of cirrus clouds when I left for the
observatory. As I was setting up right at sunset, the fog started to build up
very heavily. After I got things all ready, I began my evening nap. By 7pm the
fog drained to the coast and the sky was perfectly clear all night...not even
a hint of cirrus anywhere. The only thing that looked like a cloud was the
milky way as it rose over the mountains around 3:30 am. The night was very
slow however. Under about 6.0 skies, I plotted 29 meteors during about 6
hours. The brightest was a -6 very greenish colored fireball that occurred
early in the observations. Afterwards the night had nothing but mediocre
meteors. I will make shower breakdown later when I do my report...there isn't
too much activity to speak of for March so I will mainly be looking for
Virginids and sporadics I guess? With a little luck, I hope to get another
night in tonight...if the weather holds out?
George Zay