[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sporadics & Getting Started...

Greetings!

Kim Hay wrote:
>Just wanted to let you know, last night there was an observing
>session ( astronomy) at my house, and while out for the 1 hour that
>it was clear, I am reporting 2 sporadic meteors.

>First one at 7:23 pm, 00:23 UT, going north to south
>Second one at 7:38 pm, 00:38 UT going SE to NW
>The first one was at zenith, and the second was about 80 degrees
>angle.

And Lew replied:
> Wow, now that was a quiet night, Kim! :)
> BTW, did you happen to note the visual limiting magnitude from your
> observing site? Also, were you able to get that hour in before midnight, or
> after?

And Kim provided additional info:
>it was cloudy turned cyrstal clear limiting magnitude around 7 magnitude
>The reporting time of the sporadics was before midnight.
>I am slowly trying to get all the information that is needed to
>report the meteors...

I'm glad you managed to get some clear skies over Kingston way, at least for
part of Friday evening!  As an aside here, the RASC Kingston Centre has
fairly recently started organizing these 'Observers Nights' in addition to
its regular meeting nights.  These take place at people's homes, usually
backyards further away from city lights.  They provide a venue for group
observing, and an opportunity to get more beginners involved in all types of
observing - whether that be deep sky, meteors, or whatever.

Kim - glad you were able to take some time out from your radio astronomy
studies to actually look at the sky! ;>>  Might I make a couple suggestions,
for yourself, and to pass on to any interested meteor newbies that you may
get at your sessions:

Check out the web site site for NAMN, the North American Meteor Network, at:
http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html

The NAMN website is particularly helpful for beginning meteor observers.

Take a look at the following sections - and print yourself off a copy:

1.  Under "NAMN Observing Guide", look at:
- Chapter 1:  The Basics
- Chapter 2:  Observing Technique - Visual

2.  Under "Meteor Observing Target Dates for 1998":
- the list of meteor showers for the year

3.  Under "Limiting Magnitude Charts":
- the charts to use to determine your limiting magnitude, the faintest star
you can see on a particular night

4.  And then under "Observing Report Forms", look at:
- NAMN Report Form (printable)

These sections will give you the reporting form you need to make a meteor
report, the directions on what information is needed to fill out that
report, and some additional information you will require.

As far as limiting magnitude is concerned, basically, there are triangles we
use in the sky, and we just count the number of stars we can see in a
particular triangle.  There is then a table we refer to, and it tells the
limiting magnitude depending on how many stars we counted in that area -
neat method!

If you or any others want further information, drop a note to Mark Davis,
the NAMN Coordinator, at MeteorObs@Charlestondot net -  he is very helpful! ;>

Clear skies - and more meteors!

- Cathy
  Great White North

Cathy Hall, chall@cyberusdot ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
RASC, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Kingston Centre