[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Coloured Trains ??

<<
 What is the likelihood of seeing colors in trains, because for the first time
that
 I can remember on the 3rd of March I saw a green train on a meteor.

 The meteor was a +1 Y T3sec dur SPO.

 Any comments ??

--------------------
Adam,
I've seen green and blue on occasions for trains. I'm not sure for the
reasons, but mine seemed to be associated with very fast meteors that
originated when the radiant was near the horizon. These meteors are often
quite long. The 1994 Alpha Aurigid outburst that lunsford and I saw all seemed
to have color in the trains. Outside of these cases, I usually don't see much
of a color in a train...except a grey like look. For the sake of the novice,
trains or Persistent trains is what you call the trail that is left after a
meteor passes by. Some folks erroneously call this a "vapor" trail. It is not
a vapor trail, but it kinda looks like one that is seen from a passing high
altitude airplane. Simply stating it's a glowing ionized column mixture
consisting of the meteor's burned up residue and that of various atoms from
the air molecules in the atmosphere.
George Zay