[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Coloured Trains ??

Adam Marsh schrieb:
> I have a question I'm sure someone will be able to answer.
>
> What is the likelihood of seeing colors in trains, because for the first time
>  that
> I can remember on the 3rd of March I saw a green train on a meteor.
>
> The meteor was a +1 Y T3sec dur SPO.
>
> Any comments ??
>

> Adam Marsh ASVMS.

Hi Adam
No question that  y o u  have seen an green colored train, but I think that this
was only an personal impression and not the real color of the train.
For meteors I can say that it is possible to determine the/a color for meteors
not fainter than 1 mag. This meens not, that different observers all see the
same color. I assume that the distribution of the observed colors of one and the
same meteor by different observers is equal to the distribution of the emission
of light in different spectral ranges of the meteor.
For meteors fainter than 1 mag the distribution of the observed color became
chaotic, meens, that the above assumtion is not been truth.
Because the train of an 1 mag meteor is much fainter than 1 mag, I think that
the green color is only an impression and not real.
Ulrich