[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Coloured Trains ??

>What is the likelihood of seeing colors in trains, because for the first
>time that
>I can remember on the 3rd of March I saw a green train on a meteor.
>
>The meteor was a +1 Y T3sec dur SPO.
>
>Any comments ??
>

>Adam Marsh ASVMS.

Most trains I have seen were grey or colorless to the eye. I have seen
color in trains only in a few rare instances. One such occasion was
during Perseid max of last August 97. A -7 fireball flashed leaving a
persistent train. Initially, the train appeared yellow-orange. This seems
unusual but the meteor was fairly low near the horizon. Atmospheric haze
or thin clouds probably caused this color.

Also, during Leonid max of November 96, I saw a few trains with a
"silvery blue" look. I believe this was simply caused by the intense
"thickness" of the trains creating an optical illusion. (especially the
case for the brighter meteors).

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario in the Great White North
Meteor observing and Graphic design