[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Response to coloured meteors

Thanks for the responses.

I agree that the perception of a colour of a meteor or its train is highly subjective and depends upon the
observer, however, taking out all effects such as atmospheric discolouration due to a low altitude, hazy sky
and the like, if you had seen 10 other trains in the night all of which are white and all of a sudden you see
a green train or a yellow train on a meteor of, for argument sake, -3 magnitude with a train with a magnitude
around 0 to +1 (that is a hard one to estimate due to it being an extended object and not a point source) and
you know you've seen the colour how would something like that be explained, because an observation like this
is pretty definite.

Also to anyone on the list, what could be the cause of our potential colour in a meteor train.  I was guessing
something in the atmosphere combined with something ablated in the meteor process during its passage in the
atmosphere.  When the recombination effect takes place to produce the train, if there was some chemical or
molecule present could this explain it.  Sorry, I'm just curious as this is a gap in y knowledge and I can't
find a reference to it anywhere.  Plus as you've guessed my chemistry is not so crash hot.

Thanks in advance

Adam.