[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) March 7/8 observations..

Greetings!

Got a hole in the clouds last night over Ottawa, Ontario, so headed out for
over 3 Teff hours with Pierre Martin, to a sight south of the Ottawa
international airport.

We expected it to be mild, ie. maybe just above freezing.  Boy, were we
surprised.  The temperature only bottomed out about -9C (about 16F) but the
dampness really chilled us!  Just to take your gloves off briefly initiated
pain in the fingers.  It was extremely hard to keep my nose warm, and my
shoulders (exposed at the edge of my sleeping bag) were chilled.  The cold
came right through my wool balaclava, had to put up my down parka hood
overtop of it.  I have had nights observing at -20C that felt much warmer!

I signed on just about moonset, and observed from 7.00 UT to 10.30 UT.  Saw
1 meteor the first hour, 3 the second, 3 the third, and 1 in the last half
hour.  Plotted everything, and will check my plots for DLE, VIR and GNO's...

It was sort of one of those 'fumbling' nights... dropping pencils, losing
pencils, dropping flashlights, eyeglasses trying to fog if I covered my
nose, lawnchair sinking into the snow, foam mat slipping down the lawnchair,
never the right plotting map on the top of the pile...  just one of those
nights.

It was, however, quite enjoyable, albeit slow.  Hope the rest of you got
some clear skies too!

- Cathy
  Great White North

Cathy Hall, chall@cyberusdot ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
RASC, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Kingston Centre