[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball report accuracy

Can anyone give me references to comparisons of the accuracy of visual
fireball reports from the general public against precisely determined
trajectories.  I am interested in absolute, not statistical errors.
Rob writ:
This probably means visual observations of fireball network fireballs. I
am only aware of the Pribram meteorite fall visual observations. Ceplecha
informed me that ALL the visual observations underestimated the altitude
in addition to a large scatter.  In addition, I assume there will be large
sliding error, and suspect this will dominate the error.

We have a network of 6 all-sky cameras in Eastern Australia (EAFN) which
will make this a priority with the next fireball widely reported by the
public.

Cheers, Rob McNaught (rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au)

Sounds like you will get the best data of all, Rob, if you can just get one to go over a populations center :->
Seems like it's a bit sparse down under. Good luck!

Wayne