[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fw: (meteorobs) Response to coloured meteors

-----Original Message-----
From: Karen & Lew Simmons & Gramer <lewkaren@tiacdot net>
To: Adam Marsh <riker@net2000.com.au>
Date: Wednesday, 11 March 1998 11:18
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Response to coloured meteors

>>Also to anyone on the list, what could be the cause of our potential
>>colour in a meteor train.  I was guessing
>>something in the atmosphere combined with something ablated in the meteor
>>process during its passage in the
>>atmosphere.  When the recombination effect takes place to produce the
>>train, if there was some chemical or
>>molecule present could this explain it.  Sorry, I'm just curious as this
>>is a gap in y knowledge and I can't
>>find a reference to it anywhere.  Plus as you've guessed my chemistry is
>>not so crash hot.
>
>Hi, Adam - I've lost track of this thread on 'meteorobs', but just wanted
>to make sure that you eventually received a satisfactory response to the
>above query? If not, I might be able to scare up some references for you.
>
>Clear skies!
>Lew

Thanks Lew and all who supplied information.

It seems there has been little work done on the subject, but the information provided was very valuable.
During this year and the next I will keep an eye on the colors I see in trains (If any more) and try to work
out some results, weather there is any pattern, etc.  So any information and feedback throughout the year
would be great.  There may be nothing in this at all, but you never know unless you look into matters.

Onto a lighter note, you wouldn't believe it but there has been 5 clear, warmish nights in a row here in
Melbourne, Aust.  tonight is 24°C outside and not a bit of wind.  And what else is there, the MOON., not just
a crescent, but a 13 day old gibbous !!

Tomorrow is supposed to be 40°C during the day, but there is a late change expected.  Heh Heh Heh, now as long
as it arrives I won't be to frustrated looking out at the 6th perfectly clear night in a row, ruined by the
MOON.

Best Wishes to everyone on the list

Adam Marsh (frustrated meteor observer).