[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Satellites

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Lew Wrote:

> Interesting, Mike, I'd never noticed that before! (While meteor
observing, you
> tend to see quite a few satellites naked eye.) What is the logistical
reason
> for this? Also, is it still true that most satellites in polar orbits
tend to
> be Russian or European in origin?

It is true that most of the European satellites tend to follow a polar
orbit while a majority of those launched from the US travel in an west
to east direction. The reason behind the US direction (from Cape
Canaveral) is to launch toward the east over water to avoid any
populated areas should a mishap occur. I believe those launched from
Vandenberg are travelling north to south.

During a typical early morning meteor observing session the satellites
travelling in polar orbits far outnumber the ones travelling west to
east.

Bob