[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Mosquito repellent in clothes?

I have a mosquito net that is impregnated with "stuff" that kills mosquitos
on contact.  Unfortunately the instructions for reimpregnating it are
elsewhere and the likelyhood of me finding it in the near future next to
zero (well asympotically so).  So I hope you will forgive be in speculating
(I think it is a memory) about the chemical.  I believe it is pyrethrins,
which is used as a spray insecticide for plants and as a flea treatment for
pets.  It is an HDC (hormone disrupting chemical) and has been implicated
in human breast and testicular cancer and decline in sperm count, so if this
really is the chemical (or a close relative), it is probably best only used
on clothing not worn against the skin.  Presumably any chemical sold for such
purpose will have adequate warnings (ha!).  But if you run the risk of
malaria, dengue, encaphalitis etc, the balance of risk shifts strongly towards
its use.

Cheers, Rob McNaught
(rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au)