[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Current controversy

I have been a silent observer of these posts for the past several months
and have found them largely informative, thoughtful and sometimes
entertaining.  Aside from the occasional personal vendetta and discussion
of mosquito repellants and Scottish apparel, I have learned a great deal.
One of you stands out clearly in all of this.  I would particularly like to
commend Ron Baalke for his posts.  His have consistently been the most
informative.

RE: the current "asteroid controversy" and suggestions of blame for early
press releases, movies, millenium freaks etc.  etc.  ...In my opinion the
recent events illustrate beautifully how science works.  Hypotheses are
presented, modified by additional data and sometimes rejected out of hand.
It is incumbent on all of us who understand this to communicate it to the
public.  The public and my students frequently see the constant change in
science as bumbling rather than the process that promotes further knowledge.

Thanks for everything so far.

Steve Ervin
Dr. Stephen Ervin
Department of Biology