[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Mayan Controversy

As per Wayne's reply:

"I'm afraid we will need more information since 81P/Wild-2 is not even on
the cometary close approach list."
What sort of information?  Sorry, but this is all new to me (but I'm very
willing to learn).  I can look in some of the reference works I have, if
this would be helpful.

Re:
"I doubt the Mayans were able to calculate the effects of the numerous
solar system bodies, and therefore their predictions should be considered
obsolete."
Yes, I've wondered about that.  However, they were able to accurately
predict solar/lunar eclipses and successfully tracked other astral
satellites and solar flares/sun spots.  From my marginal understanding of
the Mayan calendar, they developed two different calendar cycles:  1) a
generally used yearly calandar of 365 days (which was corrected by adding
or subtracting days), and 2) a 72 year calandar, which I've been told
relates to either a comet or meteor and its orbit around the sun.  (The
ruins of one Mayan observatory still exist in the Yucatan today.)

The calendar years of 2004 and 2012, specifically December 22, 2012, seem
to be key to the above; 2004, because a change will take place in the
satellite's orbit that year, thus causing an impact in 2012.  (If a solar
flare eminated from the sun during a close approach of a meteor, would it
have the ability to change the orbit of the meteor?)

81P/Wild seemed a likely candidate, but after looking at your information
at http://cfa-www.harvarddot edu/iau/lists/CloseApp.html, what looks even more
a likely candidate is Toutatis.  What information is there on this, such as
orbit and size?

Re:
"I'll try and find a closest approach, but if it's not with 0,2 AU that
will take a little time."
Thanks for your information and kindness to a complete novice.

Gilbert