[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Error in 1997 XF11 position

>This uncertainty along the orbit is essentially the same as the
>mechanism that makes meteorOIDs eventually disperse into a loop
>around a comet orbit, or fireball and satellite re-entries to
>form a line of fragments.

First, I wanted to thank you, Robert: ever since (re?)joining our list,
your posts have been a model of informative and succint communication.
THANKS for participating: I know the amateur meteoricists of the world (or
at least the ones on this list) appreciate it! ;>

Second, I wanted to ask a question on the above: wouldn't it be more
correct to say that the EFFECT of orbital position uncertainty was the same
for mile-wide asteroids and 1 gram meteoroids? After all, aren't some of
the MECHANISMS in the two cases different? I'm thinking for instance of the
Poynting-Robertson effect, or outgassing pressure from comets, etc.

Thanks again, and clear skies to all!
Lew