[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Hollywood "Earth-Impact" Movies

Dear MeteorObs Members:
    Several weeks ago I mentioned that during Summer 1998,  two big-budget
Hollywood movies would be released, both dealing with the problem of the Earth
attempting to occupy the same space and time with large extra-terrestrial
objects. I first mentioned that the objects were an asteroid and a comet
respectively - but you must remember I saw those adverts just prior to the
feature presentation, "Titanic" and with the awe created in me from THAT
movie, I believe my recall of other events that evening became flawed.  I have
subsequently obtained better information.
        The two movies are BOTH about Meteor impact, and since I do not know
for SURE whether they actually impact or not,  they could be called Meteorite
impact stories as well.  Anyway both movies have websites and downloadable
trailers.  Both trailers are in the neighborhood of 10 megabytes and with a
28.8 modem take about an hour to download.  Here are the URLs:
1.   http://www.movies.com/armageddon/index.html
2.   http://wwwdot deep-impact.com/deep10.mov
My only hope is that the producers of the two movies spent even HALF the time
on authenticity that they did for Carl Sagan's  "Contact"

Still looking skyward,
Dave Garrison