[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observing with bugs!

Greetings all!

Just laid up here with a bad head cold... watching a snow blizzard out my
window.  So, figured I'd add my 2 cents to the bug discussion...

Dave Garrison suggested:
>1.  Spray Citronella
>2.  Dry repellent, you sprinkle out on the ground
>3.  Repellent strips that you put on your wrist,
>4.  machine pumps out a CO2 inhibitor,
>5.  A wooden 'bat tower'.
>6.  A transonic frequency generator

... spray stuff is good, but you have to watch you don't get it in your
eyes, etc...
... dry repellant on the ground.... somehow I think those little bugs would
just fly closer, especially if I'm up on a lawnchair
... strips on my wrist... I don't use them... wrist is normally covered by a
turtleneck jersey anyway
... machines and generators... I usually have no power outlet... so those
are out
... bat towers... fine maybe if you live where you observe... but no help
otherwise...

Lew Gramer suggested:
>1) cloth covering (long shirts & pants, sleeping bags, screens, etc.)
>2) wind - whether natural or artificial (hand fans, electric, ocean breezes)

... clothes...yes, clothes are good! ;>
... wind.. tried that once at a friend's... too noisy, not enjoyable... need
power, too

And Tim Cooper suggested:
>The one I use contains diethyltoluamide.  I use it in stick form, and it
>works a charm against South African mozzies.

... sounds good to me... haven't seen this, must look for it...

Oh... and George Zay's 'eau de garlic':
... I've heard this, but haven't tried it....

Now... there are a number of bug-prevention things nobody seems to have
listed, which I find work <very well> up here in the Great White (and in
summer, buggy) North:

... have a shower before observing... skip the deodorant, cologne, and
anything scented... reduces bugs before you even go outside!!

... wear clean, not sweaty or several days old observing clothes... reduces
bugs a lot, again, probably due to the lack of scent!

... try to cover as much of your body as possible... including hat of some
sort, turtleneck jersey, ie. long sleeves and a neck that can be rolled up
high, long pants, sleeping bag...

... on all exposed bodily parts, use 'bug juice', some sort of repellant....
I hate greasy, goopy stuff...  I use Avon's Skin-So-Soft <suntan lotion> in
lieu of bug juice... The Skin-So-Soft can be used in any of its forms.. body
lotion, bath oil (diluted half and half with water)... it also comes in
soap, etc.  This whole product line really repels bugs, be they mosquitos,
black flies or whatever, and yet doesn't repel humans!!  It is available
through your 'Avon lady'...

I have tried other types of 'bug juice'... Noxzema's Tan and Guard (half bug
juice, half tanning lotion) isn't bad, but not as good as Skin-So-Soft....
Johnson's "Off!" isn't bad, but sometimes would bother my eyes, and I think
would take off anything lacquered!...

The above suggestions have worked very well for me up here... there have
been many nights when my unshowered, sweaty male observing buddies have been
eaten alive by Canadian mosquitoes while I was hardly bothered at all! ;>>

Hope this offers some other ideas....!

Clear Skies!

- Cathy
  Great White North

Cathy Hall, chall@cyberusdot ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
RASC, Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Kingston Centre