[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hollywood "Earth-Impact" Movies

Dear Mr Richardson,
    I also read the book Contact about 10 years ago and agree there are major
differences.  Hollywood would not have made the movie unless they knew ways of
"entertaining" the astronomically-ignorant lay American movie-watcher.  I was
just happy they made it into a movie at all, since it described one of the
more probable methods of first contact.
     The movie may have ruined the story for you,  but I don't think it did
for Dr. Sagan.  I have a video tape of the making of the movie, and Dr Sagan
was not only consulted on every scene (as were a host of other Space
Scientists), he was present for the majority of the filming. Subsequently,
when considering HolIywood's track-record of science fiction movies,  I must
disagree with you concerning the use of "Contact" - the movie, as a good
example of Hollywood's potential to portray the scientific.

Dave Garrison