[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Namn guide

<<
 Kim>>I have just completed reading the first 4 chapters of the Namn guide
 ( now taking a break to do some math homework), and from what I have
 read so far, you need to be an octopus to do meteor observing.<<

Sometimes it seems like that, but soon you will find a pattern that suits you.

 Kim>>I think the hardest thing I can see is recording the time. How can
 you record the time accurately ( if doing a tape recording report),
 without dropping your tape recorder, to turn on the light on your
 watch to tell the time, and ruin your night vision at the same time. <<

I haven't noticed any change in my night vision from the weak light in my
digital watch. Unless it's for a fireball, I only record meteors down to a
minutes accuracy. Again once you find a rythym to your recording, it all goes
quickly and smoothly. To look at my watch I only turn away for about 1 or 2
seconds at the most. You can also have a radio tuned in to WWV and listen to
the time hacks given every minute. During major showers, Bob sometimes has his
radio dialed in to that station and never has to turn his head away to get the
time.

 Kim>>There must be some way to record time and all information at the same
 time.  I suppose having shortwave radio dialed to the time signal
 might help, but if that is un-available, next step would be???<<

Digital Watch?Glance at your watch for a second to get the time and then look
up at the sky while talking into the tape recorder.  One method is to take a
roll of paper like the kind found in cash registers and write down the info in
an abbreviated short hand in the dark. You never have to turn your head from
the sky. You can feel your way moving down just a little further down the roll
for each meteor entry. You let the paper pile up on the ground below you.
After your night of observing, you can transcribe all this into longer text on
your observing forms.
 George Zay