[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Namn guide

At 03:06 PM 3/22/98 +0000, you wrote:

>I think the hardest thing I can see is recording the time. How can
>you record the time accurately ( if doing a tape recording report),
>without dropping your tape recorder, to turn on the light on your
>watch to tell the time, and ruin your night vision at the same time.
>
>There must be some way to record time and all information at the same
>time.  I suppose having shortwave radio dialed to the time signal
>might help, but if that is un-available, next step would be???

Hi Kim,

There are several different ways to record the data, and all probably have
a similar number of advantages and disadvantages. I use a small flashlight
with red "covers" that reduce the intensity of the light so I suffer
minimal loss of dark adaptation. When a meteor appears I record the
pertinent information in my head first, get my watch and flashlight ready
by feel, and then take a quick glance at the watch. The data is then
recorded on the tape recorder.

The shortwave you mention would do the trick, as well as some LED style
clocks. Then there are "talking clocks" which I have only heard of. From
what I understand, these seem to work pretty good too.

In my own case, I have found it helpful to have all my equipment in a
certain place and keep using the same setup. This way, I can find whatever
I need in the dark without taking my eyes off the sky. The time to glance
at my watch is minimal (~1 second) so does not add up to a lot of "dead time."

There has been some discussion on the list in the past about using
computers in the field while observing. Some of these set-ups would record
all the data without loss of Teff or dark adaptation (as long as you didn't
drop the computer! ;)  ), but I am unsure how successful they have been.
Perhaps others on the list who were involved with this could elaborate more?

>I shall continue reading, with I am sure a few more questions....

Keep 'em coming..... ;>

Mark Davis, MeteorObs@charlestondot net
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
Coordinator, North American Meteor Network
NAMN home page:
http://medicine.wustldot edu/~kronkg/namn.html