[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Namn guide

At 10:00 AM 03/23/98 +1100, Robert H. McNaught wrote:
[snip]
>When checking a watch, use a faint red torch.  The watch battery drains
>quickly using the internal light, and is much more expensive to replace than
>torch batteries.

Very true; if you read the instruction sheet that came with your watch, it
probably said something like the battery was good for ONE dial lamp use PER
MONTH!!

For watch batteries (and especially if it's not an expensive watch),
ordinary hearing aid batteries from Radio Shack or your corner drug store
or supermarket will usually work. Look for the blister packages with more
than one battery and for hearing aids; the batteries for watches are more
expensive. Ask the clerk specifically for hearing aid batteries.

The main difference is watch batteries are designed for long life, very low
current draw; hearing aid batteries are designed for constant output
voltage and moderate current draw but over a much shorter lifespan of
several weeks. Hearing aid batteries will work fine in watches and other
low-current-draw appliances but they won't last quite as long. OTOH, a
blister package of four or six will cost about the same as a single watch
battery, sometimes cheaper (about US$3.50 for a package of six for my own
aids).

How to choose the proper battery? First, find one that is the same diameter
and thickness (the same size). Next, check the voltage rating. The actual
battery type, such as Air-Cell or Mercury or Lithium-Oxide doesn't really
matter in hearing aids and I've never really paid much attention to the
type. But FWIW, I think the Air-Cells last longer in my own aides.

I usually forego buying the store brand and buy a name-brand (Everready or
whatever) instead just because of personal principle: I don't think it's
Radio Shack's place, for example, to repackage someone else's products
under their own name, so I don't buy products that I can tell are just
repackaged.

Clear skies,

SteveH