[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Dark Matter/ Anti-matter collisions

Dear MeteorObs Members (attn: Terry Richardson),
   These questions are theoretical in nature and may have been asked before,
but knowing there are professionals that belong to this group, I thought I'd
ask.  I don't want to generate more worry in some folks out there - but it
would seem to me that if dark matter exists, then the possibility of a
collision with dark matter also exists.
    Dark matter has got to be an observer's worst nightmare....  maybe.  If
dark matter is made of some non-luminous, non-light-reflecting material,  what
would we see if a chunk of it entered our atmosphere?  Of course by that time
it would be too late to do anything about it, and if it was big enough to
cause cataclysm, would we ever even know what hit us?  And, what about the
possibility of collision with large objects composed of anti-matter?   The
destructive effects could be magnitudes greater than collision with a regular-
matter object.  At least we would see it coming.... I think.
    I'm curious.... is there anywhere on the planet a dedicated scientific
effort being made to figure out what dark matter is?  Or are we just hoping
we'll figure that out as we discover other stuff?  I would think that knowing
the true nature of dark matter would be a pretty high priority,  since the
overwhelming majority of our Universe's mass is made of it.

Dave G

  upon   an entitydarkthe possibility of colliding