[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Tips on getting organized..

Great Comments Cathy...a few minor additions.....I have a pencil case witha
bazzilion pencils. and an extra box of sharpened pencils. This is due to
the fact that the alleged organization is related to how long it's been
since you last observed, and since it is nearly two
^&%(&%&^(&^*(*)##&%$#$^& months, I'm sure that my next session will feature
much fumbling, pencils flying off to be imbedded in nearby trees, stolen by
skunks, or wherever it is they all go. Sort of like being a beginner, but
it comes back faster :-)
	If you are plotting, I also highly recommend the method of using a
string/parachute cord to align your meteor path with the sky. I do not have
a parachute cord, but I do have several bathing trunks without drawstrings
which work quite well....the drawstring, not the bathing trunks. They fall
down! Twine is no good because it tangles too easily. I tie the cord to my
thumb to decrease the number of times it disappears during the night.
	One of my flashlights is a mettalic maglight, and it's small so it's
OK on the teeth, but really can be bad news at - 15 C!! Never get your
tongue on it :-)
	I also like to have a powerful white flashlight for emergency use.
There's nothing like hearing a rutting buck snort 10 feet away, and not
being able to check out what it is. Also, we have endemic rabies in the
local fauna, and I like to know what's around when I hear critters crawling
around. Only used it twice, but it was nice to have.
	I have homemade dark chocolate peanut butter cups, for my early AM
snack...the little paper cups keep the goo off, although again, not a
factor in winter, and several cans of Dr Pepper.
	Binoculars are also good for watching persitant meteor trains, and
looking to see if that bright flash was a meteor or a satellite...important
in these Iridium days, as well as a bright flasher I saw with flashes to 0
and +1...but about +7 in between.
	I'm glad it's dark at night...I'm sure I'll look very disorganized my
next session.

Wayne
Who saw the moon last night!