[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Recording Time

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Kim Wrote:

> I think the hardest thing I can see is recording the time. How can
you record
> the time accurately ( if doing a tape recording report),  without
dropping your
> tape recorder, to turn on the light on your  watch to tell the time,
and ruin
> your night vision at the same time.
>
> There must be some way to record time and all information at the same
time.  I
> suppose having shortwave radio dialed to the time signal  might help,
but if
> that is un-available, next step would be???

Kim,

If you find that keeping track of time (to the minute) is too cumbersome
then record your data in one hour intervals. Some of my fellow observers
may cringe at this idea but what really matters is the activity one sees
per hour, not the exact minute it occurred (unless it's a fireball). May
I suggest starting out using one hour increments then adding a more
precise time when you have mastered the more important parameters.

I use a wristwatch and a watch taped to my clipboard. The wristwatch is
strictly backup. I obtain the current time when I begin to plot my
meteor. I also use a very small red-filtered mag-light (probably
identical to Wayne's) that can be easily held in your mouth while
plotting and recording data.

During major showers I ditch the watches and use a shortwave receiver
and a cassette recorder. This allows me to concentrate 100% on the sky
but the time tick is often monotonous. After observing with Cathy I see
the advantages of using a "talking clock" and will begin to use this
method in all future sessions.

I Hope This Helps!

Bob Lunsford