[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Planetarium

Hello everyone..

The California State University at Fresno recently had the groundbreaking
for a new public planetarium.  The Downing Planetarium was donated through
the generosity of Dr. Harold Downing, a local physician.  Donations from
the surrounding community are actively being sought to complete a resource
center for astronomy that will house materials for local school systems as
well as displays of instruments and meteorites.  Plans also call for a
remote telescope to be housed near Coarsegold, California , with live
projection capability on the planetarium dome.   The planetarium will house
a donated Spitz model A3P Planetarium projector.  It will seat 74 students
(two elementary school classes).

In addition to donations, we are actively seeking materials for the
resource center.  If anyone on this list has any suggestions about how to
go about this, I would like to hear from you. I can't think of a better
group to ask!   If you happen to have any appropriate materials (i.e. large
Gibeon or Canyon Diablo doorstops etc. ) that you would consider donating
or offering for long term loan, I would also like to hear from you.  Since
we are a tax exempt organization, donations would be deductable and all
will be acknowledged in any display.

Many thanks to all of you for your time and patience in this message. Most
of the time you will only hear about CSU, Fresno through the reputation of
our basketball team...hopefully this facility will help change this!

 The planetarium home page can be accessed at the following URL:

http://maxwell.phys.csufresnodot edu:8001/DowningPlanetarium/dphome.html

Steve Ervin
Member, Planetarium Advisory Committee

Dr. Stephen Ervin