 (2) WEST TEXAS CRUDE

 From: Duncan Steel <dis@a011.aonedot net.au>

 Meteorite fall in West Texas story.

 >An astronomer at the McDonald Observatory theorized that the meteorite
 >could have contained copper among its metallic ores, explaining the
 >greenish tint to its glow as it passed over Midland.

 Why, just because church roofs are green? For high altitude meteors the
 green light often reported is, I believe, due to an atomic oxygen
 transition.  I do not have enough information about this fireball to
 make any further comment about the light emission.

 >Monahans is about 60 miles southwest of Odessa.

 ...which is of course the location of the first definitely-proven
 terrestrial impact crater, named for the town.  It became accepted as an
 impact scar in the 1920's due to its association with meteoritic iron.
 Although Meteor (Barringer) Crater had been suggested as being an impact
 crater earlier, it took a long time for this to be accepted by any but a few
 'crazies.'

 Duncan