[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteor colors re (this week's Cambridge Conference)

From meteorobs

> Why, just because church roofs are green? For high altitude meteors the
> green light often reported is, I believe, due to an atomic oxygen
> transition.  I do not have enough information about this fireball to
> make any further comment about the light emission.

        I am puzzled as to why they would say atomic oxygen is the
contributer to a meteors color in such a general way.  I would think that
the Mg1 magnesium triplet at 517.5 nm would be the more likely contributor
to the green color.  Atomic oxygen is only present in meteors with
velocities of 40 km./sec or faster.  This is sometimes refered to as the
auroal green line at 557.7 nm.  This is a persistant radiation lasting 1
sec+ and appears somewhat higher than the main spectrum.  Fireball type
meteors are mainly of the slower variety and therefore would not produce the
01 oxygen line.  Mg1 is a strong component in most meteor spectra.  If I an
wrong, I would like to hear about it.

Cheers: Ed
Edward Majden                         epmajden@mars.ark.com
1491 Burgess Road                     Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C.                       AMS Affiliate
CANADA  V9N-5R8                       MIAC Associate