Kim

Date:          Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:55:52 -0500
From:          Terry Richardson <richardsont@cofcdot edu>
To:            kimhay@adan.kingstondot net

Kim,

What are the dates again for the NAMN get together. I did not write them down.

Also I have camped all over that area for the last 25 years and Green Bank
is nice for a visit, but there is a better option just one hour or so east
in George Washington National Forest.

It may be too late to change things but I would suggest camping near
Vesvius VA. The is a medium sized campground near the Blue Ridge Parkway
and only about 5-7 miles from the interstate. There is a great meteor
observing site high on the Parkway only a few miles from the campground.
There is free camping only 5 miles away in the National Forest and day
trips could be made to Green Bank and to the observatory at the Un. of Va
which is only an hour away in Charlottesville. I was in Green Bank at the
National Radio Observatory  only 10 months ago and radio astronomers do not
need it dark so the spot is not that great for meteor observing, the roads
are narrow and winding and it is a radio quiet zone so nobody's cell phone
will work within about an hours drive. I also wonder if there is enough
camping in that area.

I should have posted this to you some time ago but I have been busy.

I posted this privately to you but if you think it is advisable to send to
all meteorobs, feel free to suggest the change.

Also I know some of the astronomers or friends of some of them at both
Green Bank and UVA so I could help to arrange tours for NAMN if that is of
any help. UVA has an observatory on Fan Mountain which also might be a good
meteor observing site, but the one I have used on the parkway is nice,
though lights continue to encroach on all good sites these days.

Peace and Clear Skies,

Terry

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston
Charleston, SC 29424
pager #937-1048
note new area code for the SC Lowcountry!
843 953-8071 phone
843 953-4824 fax
http://www.cofcdot edu/~richardt/

Moonlight Cascade