[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Watches and Batteries.

GeoZay wrote:

> <<
>  Since the foundation of the Dutch Meteor Society in 1979 a photographic
>  network, consisting of
>  several stations using batteries of 35 mm cameras is operated during the
>  periods of activity of major
>  streams. In the early years f4.5/75mm Lubitel cameras were used, but
>  nowadays batteries of Canon
>  T-70 cameras equipped with high quality FD f/1.8-50 mm optics are in use
>  at nearly all stations. The
>  larger stations (four at present) use about 20 of these cameras,
>  covering almost the entire sky visible
>  from the observational site. Between 1980 and 1995, 998 meteors were
>  photographed multistation.
>  All photographic records have been measured and reduced.
>
>  Copy from our home page
>  Robert Haas DMS
>
>   >>
> ----------------
> Robert,
> I think you might have gotten "batteries" in reference to the power sources
> for camera's and watches etc confused with "batteries of camera's" or groups
> of camera's used in your photographic network. Still what you posted was
> interesting by itself.
> George Zay
I  don't think so George
see the questions

Dear Adam, Rob, and Meteorobs,

I would be interested in knowing more about the Canon T70 capability. I
own
and use 19 cameras from 35mm to 8x10  as well as two CCD cameras, but
since
all my 35mm cameras are Nikon, Rob's camera is new to me.

Even without getting a new camera such as the Cannon T70, you may have
some
options. What you want is something called an intervalometer. You can
make
one yourself easily from electronics you get at a radio shack or similar
electronic supply house. Essentially it is a timer (to determine an
interval), a relay (that turns power on or off according to the timer)
and
a solenoid (which depresses the cable release connected to the camera
when
the solenoid is activated). I made one in college in the 60's before the
electronic revolution. They do use power but now with modern electronics
only the solenoid (because of the electromagnet) consumes much. If it is
connected to a camera with a true "T" setting then they can be operated
in
a mode that consumes very little power and could work off batteries in
the
field.

When connected to an older completely mechanical shutter camera, it can
be
a real handy device for meteor photography.

There are stock items available from some camera makers and independent
suppliers, but I know that some of them may not be designed to do time
exposures. What they are good for is recording stages that movies are
too
fast for. They take a picture every minute or every hour or so to record
plant growth or things like that.

I too would like to know more about the Canon T70.

Peace and clear skies,

Terry

AND

The other question is about the Canon T70s camera body.  You said it can
be programmed for multiple time
exposures.  You would be able to for instance program it to take a
sequence of 10 or 20, five minute
exposures.  I have thought in the past this would be a great idea but
had no idea they even existed, esp with
the fact they don't drain on the battery power.  What would be the
availability of one of these ?

Thanks in advance, Adam Marsh, ASV Meteor Section.