[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Observing Alignment Cords

Hello,

This is a very good piece of advice! I never have used a device like this
myself, except for a long pencil on occasion, but I think shower
associations when not plotting the meteors can seriously benefit from
this technique. I know some of our Dutch members (have) use(d) a ruler
for a similar purpose. Anyhow, if you do use a dark cord, make sure you
extend it with a light collored 'something' (e.g. a yellow bead on one
end): the reason for this is, that.... it makes it easier to relocate
your piece of equipment in the dark in case you accidently drop it!
A few years ago, I used a goniometric triangle for plotting meteors on a
gnomonic map. That plastic triangle was translucent, non-colored. On one
particular night while observing from Southern France, I accidently
dropped it.... It took me over 15 minutes to relocate it in the dark! I
also have had this type of 'accident' once with a dark pencil. Note: even
with a flashlight, it was just not easy to locate it... So since that
time, I have taken these precautions:

-My pencil is painted yellow.
-Both pencil and ruler are attached to a 10" cord, that in turn are
attached to clamps that are clipped to the edge of my board ( I use a
plastic board to which I fit my observation sheet and plotting charts).
The clamps double-function by holding the plotting chart in place.

So if I accidently drop one of them, it can easily be retrieved via the
cord. No grewsome searches in the dark for an invisible item.

I think George's dark 'allignment cord' micht benefit in this sense too
from having e.g. a bright colored tip, like a yellow bead attached or
something like that. You
can hold that in your handpalm while using the cord, so that it doesn't
interfere. It would also provide you a grip on the ends of the cord.
Another option would be to make the cord somewhat longer and attach it
with a loop to a button on your jacket. But then, be sure not to strangle
yourself in the dark.... [note for lawyers: The Netherlands does not have
sewing laws like in the US. So I cannot be held legally responsible for
any accident occuring with cords in the dark in the form of financial
claims. I am sorry, my dear law vultures....].

-Marco Langbroek

PS: It can be usefull to mark your glasses with a piece of bright colored
string too: a few years ago I nearly 'annihilated' my glasses in the dark: I
had put them down on my chair for a moment while taking a coffee break, and
because they were invisible in the dark, I sat on them when returning...
Quite some years ago I actually lost a pair of glasses in that way: while
deep-sky observing, I put of my glasses to look through the eyepiece of
my telescope, and tried to put my glasses into the pocket of my jacket. I
accidently dropped them in that process, on the concrete floor of my
little balcony. In order to retrieve it, I moved away from my telescope,
but only one step was enough to actually step ON my glasses. That was:
goodbye glasses..... There's nothing more horrible than the sound of
cracking glass in the dark, when you know you payed $100+ for that glas....

M.