[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) March observations

Hello everyone!

Despite rather poor weather conditions through the month and a busy
schedule here in Ottawa, I did manage to observe on a few clear nights.
The weather has been very weird, ranging from furious knee deep blizzards
to the current warm, summerlike conditions. The snow is virtually all
gone
and this is always good news for meteor observing. Bad news: it's now
pouring rain!

I hope other observers got some clear skies too. Activity this month has
been slow with perhaps slightly more brighter meteors near the end of the
month. Most meteors seen were unspectacular and faint.

Here is a summary of my 3 nights out this month:

MARCH 7/8 1998:

Headed back behind the airport with Cathy Hall. It was clear but a slow
night to start. My first hour produced only one meteor. Rates got a
little bit better later. Showers watched were Delta Leonids and
Virginids.
I have seen 3 possible GNO (plotted). During the night I left part of
my micro recorder peaking out in open air. The cold got to it I guess
cause
the batteries stopped dead. Fortunately I discovered this before I lost
any
data. Simply changing batteries on that cold, damp night was a daunting
task as my fingers painfully froze in matter of seconds. Still, it was
enjoyable.

75.4 W, 45.3 N Ottawa, Ontario, CAN

UT          FIELD   Teff   F     LM     DLE  VIR  SPO
7:15-8:15   SE70d   0.63  1.00  5.7      0    0    1
8:15-9:15   "       0.96  "     5.7      0    0    3
9:15-10:35  "       1.30  "     5.7      0    1    6
TOTALS              2.89        5.7      0    1    10         Total:11
(4 plots)

MARCH 24/25 1998:

Headed out again with Cathy to our location south of the airport. It was
clear most of the night with a few clouds near the end. I got 3.89 teff,
at a temperature of -13C (8F). My limiting magnitude was better than the
first night at 5.85. Activity was slow but better near the end. Showers
watched were Virginids and Mu Virginids. I am also trying to verify
activity
from Kappa Serpentids. One sporadic is actually a possible KSE. The
target
radiant of this minor shower was blocked at that time so I cannot confirm
this. I did plot it. Nicest meteor was a blue/white 0 Virginid on a 16deg
path.

75.4 W, 45.3 N Ottawa, Ontario, CAN

UT          FIELD   Teff   F     LM      KSE  MVI  VIR  SPO
5:30-6:30   S70d    0.98  1.00  5.85      0    1    0    1
6:30-7:30   "       0.96  "     5.85      0    0    1    4
7:30-8:30   "       0.97  1.03  5.85      0    1    0    3
8:30-9:32   "       0.98  1.04  5.85      0    0    1    6
TOTALS              3.89        5.85      0    2    2    14    Total:18
(5 plots)

MARCH 29/30 1998:

Observed early evening from my backyard. Despite the threat of an
approaching weather system, I managed to get 2.41 teff. After that,
clear sky was gone for good and will be for the next week! Anyway,
LM was only 5.1 because of thin haze. Still, meteors peaked through.
I saw a total of 9 (3 VIR, 6 SPO). Saw one suspect KSE that I plotted
but called it SPO. Saw one nice, blue 0 VIR that travelled some 12deg.

75.4 W, 45.3 N Ottawa, Ontario, CAN

UT          FIELD   Teff   F     LM      KSE  MVI  VIR  SPO
1:40-2:40   SE70d   0.95  1.02  5.1      0    0    2    2
2:40-3:40   "       0.98  1.01  5.1      0    0    0    4
3:40-4:10   "       0.48  1.04  5.1      0    0    1    0
TOTALS              2.41        5.1      0    0    3    6    Total:9
(5 plots)

**NOTE** Full reports will be sent by email to Robert Lunsford, Mark
Davis.
Also, plots + reports by standard mail to Mr. Lunsford.

Clear skies all!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario in the Great White North (soaked up for the next week!)
Meteor observing and Graphic design