[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) US Limiting Magnitudes Needed!

Steve Albers is a scientist with the Local Analysis and Predictions Branch of
the (US) National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Among Steve's
projects right now is a mathematical model relating census and other data with
average light pollution, throughout the United States.

In order to calibrate this model, Steve is interested in getting averaged "best
night" LM estimates from experienced observers throughout the US. I've offered
to collect historical IMO-type LM estimates from meteor observers here, and
reformat them for Steve's use.

So if you'd like to help with this very significant research, and you keep your
IMO report forms in electronic format, send them along to me! Steve hasn't
specified a time horizon for this data, but I assume that anything from clear,
moon-dark nights in the 1980s or 1990s would be fine.

Clear skies and many meteors!
Lew Gramer

cc: Steve Albers, Fred Schaaf