[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Another Green Meteor?

While driving home last night I spotted a green meteor of my own. I don't
know if it is related to the central Arkansas meteor, unless the final
position of the meteor was given incorrectly by that observer. I haven't
done any calculations to check where my meteor would be located in central
Arkansas skies, or whether it would even be visible.

I was driving home from work heading south on a straight road that is
oriented due north to due south. The green meteor appeared near the top of
my windshield, but I am not sure if I saw the beginning or just the point
from where is appeared from behind the roof of my car. It was not directly
in front of me, but was slightly off to my right. Its motion was slow and
it moved toward the horizon, while drifting a little to the right. When
just above the treetops it fragmented into about a half dozen pieces. At
that point I was right at my driveway and pulled in. I quickly got out of
the car, but noted no train in that direction.

Important points:
--The time was very close to 7:15 p.m.
--The meteor passed just slightly left of Sirius and was definitely
brighter than that star.
--The meteor maintained a green color even when far below the tinting at
the top of my windshield.
--From where I sit, the top of the windshield lets me see everything up to
about 35 degrees above the horizon.
--The tops of the trees extend up to about 10 degrees above the horizon.
--An estimate from my driveway to about the spot in the road where I think
I first saw the meteor is about 2-4 seconds (This is rough because I didn't
break fast enough last night and almost missed the driveway thanks to the
celestial sight).

Sincerely,
Gary