[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) A word on Lap-Tops/Notebooks

Dear Comrades,
     In keeping with our latest discussions on making outdoor observing easier
(ie mosquito stuff, talking watches, etc),  I'd like to put in a good word for
lap-top PCs.  These puppies are REALLY coming down in price right now.  And,
when the new line of Pentium II notebooks comes out,  the non-Pentium II's
will drop in price even more.
      We've been having some great wx the last few days and nights in South
Texas - high pressure, low humidity.  I just purchased a lap-top PC and found
ANOTHER use for it last night.  I took it outside with my bino's and folding
chair,  slapped  the  "Red-Shift II"  CD Rom in and waited.  It really is good
for orientation and helps to give accurate positioning data when a meteor is
observed.  Example:  For every streak I saw,  I could look at the background
stars and, as soon as the streak faded,  glance down at the lap-top screen and
get the names of the background stars as they appeared to me,  at my lat/long.
Later,  I could go back and adjust the time and  lat/long to a standard point
that could be used as a "bulls-eye" to report how the stars were positioned in
relation to the standardized bulls-eye.
     Most astronomical software will come with a red-light mode so you don't
destroy your night vision when looking at a PC screen.

Dave G