[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Time recording

I have been using the Olympus Pearlcorder S950 for many years to record the
time. My version has a small button which you have to explicitely press for
recording the time. The good thing is: You can press it several times
during a recording, e.g. when many meteors are falling. The bad thing:
Sometimes you forget to press it at all. Also: Whenever the time is
recorded (as a sequence of beeps), it does not record speech. The time
recording happens about 5 s after pressing the little button, so sometimes
you talk into the beeps and loose data...

Another option (cheaper, at least in Europe) is the Sony M-770V, two of
which our astronomy club bought for meteor observing in 1994 and people
have been using it since. It records the time whenever you push the record
button, i.e. no separate button, nothing to forget. It also needs about 5 s
until it records the time. Advantage: This is done on a separate track, so
no speech is lost. Disadvantage: The sound quality is worse than the
Olympus. Nevertheless, this would be my first choice if I had to buy a
recorder for meteor observing now.

Bye, Detlef.

At 04:27 PM 4/2/98, you wrote:
>On March 22 Kim asked:
>
>>I think the hardest thing I can see is recording the time. How can
>>you record the time accurately ( if doing a tape recording report),
>>without dropping your tape recorder, to turn on the light on your
>>watch to tell the time, and ruin your night vision at the same time.
>>

>Here is an idea about recording time while watching for meteors. I
>purchased a little microcassette recorder made by Olympus. It is their
>Pearlcorder S950. It records the time when it is turn on each time you want
>to make a comment. Later when you play it back the time of the recording is
>displayed on a small LED read out. It also has a voice activated feature so
>that you don't even have to push any buttons. The time is only recorded in
>hours and minutes (no seconds).
>
>You can get local dealers addresses from: 800-221-3000 if you are interested
>
>I have not been able to try this out in actual meteor observing as we have
>had few clear nights down here in Ecuador for the past months, do the El
>Nino weather. Let me know if some one else has tried this little recorder
out.

>Robert E. Meyer
>Cuenca, Ecuador
>rmeyer@cue.satnetdot net

Detlef Koschny                      email: dkoschny@estec.esadot nl
European Space Agency
ESTEC Sci/SO
Keplerlaan 1                              phone: +31-71-565-4828
NL-2201 AZ Noordwijk ZH                     fax: +31-71-565-4697