[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Zenethal Attraction

Adam,

I am writing this from work so I do not have any references to go by,
just memory.

Zenithal attraction is the offset of the true radiant verses the
predicted radiant. If I recall correctly it is greatest for a radiant
near the horizon and for meteors of low velocity. The stream that
comes to mind when you mention Z. A. is the Camelopardalids. The
velocity of this shower is only 11km/sec. and due to the Z. A. the
radiant diameter is in the order of 30-40 degrees wide. I believe it
is caused by the effects of the Earth's gravity upon an object with
low velocity.

If you place your center of field between 50 and 70 degrees in
altitude (as the IMO recommends) then the Z. A. would be close to
zero and would not be a factor in your data.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford