[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Zenethal Attraction

>I am having trouble finding information on zenithal attraction.  Can anyone
help me with this topic.  I believe it is an effect
>where stream meteors appear to come from a stream which is closer to the
zenith than it actually is, but I'm probably wrong on
>this.
>
>Any information would be a great help.  I want to include the topic in the
next newsletter I write for our meteor section.

>Thanks in advance.
>Adam Marsh, ASV Meteor Section Asst Director.

                        ZENITHAL ATTRACTION

        A displacement of the radiant of a meteor swarm by the gravitational
attraction of the earth.  When approaching the earth, the meteor is
excelerated, producing a curvature in the orbit.  The radiant will appear
displaced toward the observer's zenith.

        For a more detailed account see:

                METEORS - by V. FEDYNSKY
                Foreign Languages Publishing House
                Moscow 1959 p.32-p.33

                        and

                Meteor Science and Engineering - by D.W.R. McKinley
                McGraw-Hill Book Company Inc. 1961 - p. 34

Hope this is what your looking for.

Ed
Edward Majden                         epmajden@mars.ark.com
1491 Burgess Road                     Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C.                       AMS Affiliate
CANADA  V9N-5R8                       MIAC Associate