[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) SUBSCRIBE meteorobs

Perseids:

> Hi!  I'm new on the computer but have been observing the Perseids for
years
> since they occur on my birthday, Aug. 11th.  I am planning to travel to
Zambia
> this year which I hope will be a great place to view although I realize
it's a
> bit south for best observing.  Thanks to the meteorist in Spain for the
info.

This year the Perseid peaks occur on August 12. The traditional Perseid
maximum will be on August 12, 2200 UT, Zambia is at UT+2 hours, that is you
will see highest rates in the night August 12/13. 2200 UT is just midnight
in Zambia. Mind the moon; it's at delta=-14deg and will pass the zenith
down there.

Rainer Arlt
Visual Commission
International Meteor Organization